Should You Display the Live Twitter Stream on the Big Screen?

by Guest Post on June 2, 2009

This is a guest post written by Olivia Mitchell and has been reprinted from Speaking About Presenting with permission.

Twitter is now a reality at many conferences. Now the question is: should you display a live Twitter stream on a large screen so that everyone (not just the tweeters) in the audience can see it?

Sir Ken Robinson speaking at

Sir Ken Robinson speaking at “Hacking Education” organised by Union Square Ventures. Photo used on the Speaking About Presenting blog with permission from Fred Wilson

Having Twitter on a large screen can enrich the conference experience. Here’s a report from the Museums and the Web conference 09:

So when the conference delegates arrived at the auditorium for the conference welcome and opening talk we found two computer displays: one of the speaker’s slides and the other a display of Twitter posts tagged with the #mw2009 tag, using the Twitterfall software, And judging by comments made on the conference blog, many people found that this live display of tweets in the opening session provided a valuable way of developing a shared sense of community and active participation which continued throughout the conference, with many newcomers subscribing to Twitter, following the more well-established Twitter users and engaging with the discussions themselves.

Twitter can also allow the conversation to continue after the conference. At the Travolution Summit 2009 , 200 of the 1,150 tweets using the #travsummit hashtag were after the event. The organiser, Kevin May, comments:

Now this is where it gets interesting. Post-event analysis and continuing the conversation was, until now, the Holy Grail of event organisers.

However, there is a downside. Distraction:

Museums and the Web conference 09

Which is not to say that everyone found the Twitterfall display useful: some participants, for example, did find the display distracting.

Richard Mulholland at NetProphet 09

…looking around the room, more people are watching the twitter screen than are listening to Arthur’s great preso.

But you can get the benefits of conference tweeting without the distraction by choosing carefully when to display the twitter stream on a large screen. The decision depends on the nature of each session: is it a presentation, panel or a discussion? Let’s look at each in turn.

Live twitter screen during a presentation

My advice is to only show the twitter stream when it adds to the presentation- just like any visual. With an actively tweeting audience, a twitter stream can move extremely fast. It will be very hard for the audience not to pay attention to the constantly moving screen – so it’s likely to be distracting. If it’s on the large screen it’s no longer an opt-in experience.

However, I think that Twitter can be a great audience participation tool. And it will be much more inclusive if you do display the Twitter stream, so that non-tweeters can see it too. So have the Twitter display ready to go (use the remote of the datashow projecter to hide the screen) and turn it on just when you want it. That could be when:

• you ask for audience input on a particular point
  • you ask the audience for questions
  • you take “twitter breaks” specifically to look at the twitter stream and address any issues which have been raised.

For more ideas on this see my posts 8 things I learnt about using Twitter as a participation tool and 7 ways to use Twitter to engage your audience.

Live twitter stream during a panel

Twittering during a panel allows the audience to have direct input into the questions being asked of the panel. It allows the tweeters in the audience to mould the experience in a way that otherwise would not be possible. This can take place without the twitter stream being displayed – but that excludes those not on Twitter. Having the twitter stream displayed also allows panelists to refer visually to specific tweets as they respond to them. Mike McAllen (@mmcallen) reported back from Blogworld 08:

In one of the panels I attended they had the breakout screen projecting a Twitter search feed (http://search.twitter.com) To make it work the moderator made up a conference room tag #PR08 and the people sitting in the audience had a running dialogue with what the presenters were talking about. This dialogue was between audience members, and of course anyone else who wanted to see what was going on anywhere in the world (with an internet connection)

So the audience was real time commenting and asking and forming the best questions together for the panel. It was fascinating. I find panel discussions usually frustrating because each panelist is usually fighting for time to speak or someone drones on and on. This way the audience is the real moderator.

Live twitter stream during a discussion

This is where Twitter really comes into it’s own – allowing more than one person to have a voice at the same time: Fred Wilson describes his experience:

It is hard to moderate a conversation of 40 people and there are times when several people want to make a point but one gets the opportunity. I started to notice that the others would simply post their thought to twitter instead which allowed the rest of the room to see what they wanted to say in parallel with the point that was being made live.

Downsides of displaying Twitter

There are some other downsides of displaying Twitter on a large screen:

1. Spammers and trolls may be attracted by the attention they can get

And once the tag was included in the top tags of the day it, perhaps inevitably, attracted the attention of Twitter spammers, with a tweet from ‘PantyGirl’ – and an associated image being included in the live Twitterfall display. [from Brian Kelly at the Museums and the Web conference 09]

Tweetchat allows you to block users if this becomes a problem.

2. Negative comments about the speaker or panelists

Most reports seem to be that people are courteous about what they tweet if they know it’s going to be displayed on a large screen. But there’s still a risk of this happening – and it’s something to accept.

3. Off-topic tweets

From Kevin May of the Travolution Summit

If the on-stage content started to wane, people would Tweet *other* observations, such as comments regarding the panel’s socks and footwear!

From the comments on Kevin’s post, it seems most people enjoyed a little light humor.

4. Libelous tweets

I haven’t found any reports of this happening, but it’s a risk to be aware of. This would be the one situation where it would be wise to pull the stream from the display.

Your views

What do you think? When would Twitter on the large screen add or detract from your conference experience?

Olivia Mitchell blogs at Speaking about Presenting. Visit her blog for more presentation tips.

{ 6 trackbacks }

Micro Blogging and IGC « trflanagan
October 17, 2011 at 2:30 am
Live Twitter stream? Yes please « Try to take over the world
November 3, 2011 at 9:40 am

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

Terrie Byrne December 2, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Thank you for the great post. I plan to use live Twitter streaming in a spring 2010 CALL class at UIC (Computer Assisted Language Learning). I want to use Twitter for quick polls among my students, as well as a way for more students to jump in on discussions by projecting their comments on a big screen in the classroom. I was looking for the best tools for this and I’m going to explore the Twitterfall and Tweetchat apps that you suggested. Any other apps that would work well for this kind of tweet streaming in class?

Quintin Willison January 19, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Only a few months back my company finished work on a new product for presenting twitter content (tweets) to a large screen. Way more than ‘web browser on a stick’ we have developed a two-part application suite designed to be robust in a live environment with full moderation capabilities. The first outing for the system was Eddie Izzard’s Stripped Tour (UK, Europe and USA 2009/2010). Please get in touch if you have other applications on +44 (0) 1438 360 058.

Deana Goldasich July 12, 2010 at 6:21 pm

As much as I support Tweeters at events, I definitely think streaming the steam behind the speaker is very distracting and a bad idea. The stream belongs on lobby monitors and in “common areas” at events. But, streaming behind the speaker or during a presentation just begs distraction for all the reasons you mention above.

Susan August 3, 2010 at 4:01 am

I just setup a live twitter stream at my networking events using a script I got from http://www.streamtwitter.com It’s awesome! People at my events love it. I can see how it would be distracting at a lecture, but it kinda all depends on the lecturer in that case. I use it in common areas as Deana suggests, it’s so much fun. I’m not very tech savvy but it was really easy to follow the steps on their website. I’m going to setup a live twitter stream at every event I do from now on.

I hear a lot of people are hooking this up at nightclubs and concerts, I have to see it in that environment, I think it would be such a cool experience. Just picture being at a Lady Gaga concert with a huge projection screen streaming her tweets from backstage and from people in the audience. That would be something!

Jo February 5, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Awesome info, exactly what I was looking for. I want to use a live twitter stream in my lectures and my upcoming blogging workshop. Any suggestions what good apps I could use on the Mac? Thanks!

Salvador February 25, 2012 at 12:59 am

I have used twitter / facebook streaming on live events and it can be a two way sword; but it does adds a loudspeaker for the audience; for nightclubs is great, for speakers we usually setup a screen for the speaker and do moderation.

We developed pulsoviral.com; is currently on beta and it is free for small events, it also has moderation and stats; and it can run on more than one screen at the same time showing different info.

Gregg October 8, 2012 at 9:41 am

Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the information you provide here and can’t wait
to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .
. Anyways, fantastic blog!

XBOX 360 December 15, 2013 at 6:43 am

Hii! What’s the name of that blog template?
Or it’s custom?

Xmas Beauty Treatment Offers December 15, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is required to get set up?
I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?

I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% positive. Any recommendations or advice
would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Homepage December 18, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Wonderful overcom! I have to newbie all the while you actually fix your blog, how can i subscribe for your blog page site? The particular bank account helped me to some sort of appropriate option. For a nice and little bit comfortable of your the send out presented vibrant obvious idea

saizzu.com December 19, 2013 at 4:07 am

Hi there to all, how is all, I think every one
is getting more from this web page, and your views are
pleasant in support of new visitors.

ol roy dog food December 28, 2013 at 2:08 am

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
I have read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or tips.
Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article.

I want to read even more things about it!

Goodgame Empire Free Coins January 2, 2014 at 11:57 am

Effective Clash of clans Secrets – A Background

Dominic January 25, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I’m not sure exactly why but this site is loadinng incredibly slow
for me. Is anyonbe else having this problem or is it a issue on my end?
I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

Yuck Fu Ninja February 1, 2014 at 9:52 am

Dance audio is music that may be one that is danced to be able
to. In a much wider impression, a huge quantity of audio seems
like boogie songs, regardless of whether it is not
constructed intended for moving. A history regarding dance songs resembles
a brief history regarding dance as well as towards the background of audio.

Party tunes had been probably the initial kind of tunes there is.

Eons in the past human beings must have found out the
joy of earning sounds by simply conquering supports
in flow. These people most likely danced since they do this.

We understand that this Early Greeks danced
in order to music, though do not know much with what that
music ended up being like. In the Dark Ages (before the center Ages) dancing was popular.

The particular Roscoe Chapel believed that dancing had been awful as it
had been always from the demon. This is the reason the particular cathedral people imagined that will musical tools were poor, simply
because instruments were used for moving. The primary Western dance tunes which we know are some of the
middle ages dances such as caroles as well as the Estampie.
Composers started to write their songs on music staves. Party songs needed a regular defeat so your dancers might party over time.
This is why barlines have been developed. The music was divided into pubs which has a certain number of beats in every tavern.
This is distinctive from cathedral audio that has been according to plainchant that was quite free of charge in the manner ?t had been sung.
Inside the Baroque period of time numerous composers begun to publish components of audio which are based on dance tempos.
Composers such as Johann Sebastian Bach had written
bedrooms which are collections involving dancing activities.
The most used dances within a collection have been: allemande, courante,
sarabande, minuet as well as gigue. No matter if not necessarily publishing party activities,
a lot of Baroque tunes will be based upon boogie rhythms, such as: typically
the great beginning ensemble regarding Bach’s St Matt Passion is
founded on the particular tempo of any sicilienne.
Within the Common songs interval composers had written a great deal of entente and also thread
quartets. They’d several actions. The 3rd has been
normally any minuet, eventhough it has not been regarding grooving to.

Composers like Mozart and Schubert additionally wrote a
great deal of tunes which has been regarding dance or perhaps
effortless being attentive. This is the most popular tunes of its time.
From the Passionate age the waltz shot to popularity.

Many waltzes have been created to become danced to, however some other composers just composed audio (especially
keyboard music) called “waltz”. Chopin composed piano bits known
as after several kinds of party: waltz, polonaise, mazurka and so on Interlude has been around since quite
popular. There were lots of dancing tunes throughout operas, specifically in French plays.
In the the twentieth hundred years “dance music” was frequently thought of as which means:
songs played out by simply dancing companies.
This kind of audio developed into stone in the 1960s. Today you will find a many well-known
dancing songs, including rap. Spanish or Asian Us dances for example the samba,
tango and also cha cha cha are well-liked worldwide.

Towards the finish from the 20 th century,
a kind of party music known as digital party tunes (EDM) came to exist.
This is electronic digital tunes that is made in
a specific way concerning be danced for you to, usually in the environment of your club, discothèque or perhaps a
event. Genres of EDM incorporate post-disco, techno, residence along with hypnotic
trance, between numerous other folks.

strony internetowe February 2, 2014 at 3:59 am

Great delivery. Solid strony internetowe points.
Sustain the amazing work.

This text strony www is invaluable. When may I read more?

143047 March 27, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Hi there, 143047 simply wanted to mention, I loved this blog post 143047.
It had been inspiring 1479. Continue on posting!

points fifa 14 Gratuit April 1, 2014 at 6:02 pm

re here to save you some time as you look for the best strikers to employ.
The incentive you earn at the conclusion of every single match up is determined by the sort of complement you decide to engage in – traditional, on-line, single match up, competition or year.
After you feel your skills will be ready compete, start to look for
a tournament to learn in.

pokemon x et y gratuit April 3, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Wiiware adventure can incorporate a number of asking prices; by way of 500 to help you 1500.
Overall I think the i – Pod touch 4g is a brilliant step up from previous
models and Apple have scored some big points in my books. You wish you could leave your child (ren) with their
teacher for a weekend, and let her see what you go through.

transport medyczny Kraków April 5, 2014 at 4:25 am

What’s up, transport medyczny Kraków merely wanted to tell you, I liked this post transport medyczny Koszalin.
That was practical p14941. Continue publishing!

tanie mieszkania Warszawa April 12, 2014 at 3:05 am

What’s up, tanie mieszkania Warszawa wanted to mention, I loved this article tanie mieszkania Warszawa.
It was actually inspiring tanie mieszkania Warszawa.
Keep submitting!

botox Radom April 14, 2014 at 5:47 am

Hi, botox Radom just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this post depilacja laserowa Radom.
It was actually funny comment-495761. Carry on
publishing!

botox Radom April 16, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Hi, botox Radom I just want to say, I liked this post botox Radom.
This became funny kamery Radom. Keep going publishing!