Top 15 Twitter Acronyms

by Alexander Howard on January 12, 2009

Most of the acronyms you’ll find on Twitter are borrowed directly from decades of net culture, developed as easy Internet shorthand on electronic bulletin boards (BBSes), IRC, IM, and email. Twitter’s integration with SMS naturally means that texting lingo is inherently part of the argot.

Twitter, like each online platforms before it, quickly evolved its own lingo. The 140 character limit necessarily forces concision. Unfortunately, that shortening can also hide meaning, especially if you’re at all new to Twitter. Below are the acronyms that I’ve encountered most frequently on Twitter over the years, along with appropriately short explanations.

RT = Retweet. See @danzarrella‘s RT research, @jowyang‘s RT post on WoM marketing & RT is the FWD of 2008. Dan recently created Tweetbacks; expect a ‘TB’ in the future.

PRT = Partial Retweet / Please Retweet
. In the first sense, PRT means the RT’ed tweet has been edited, usually to fit a username within the character limit.

OH = Overheard. ‘OH’ is commonly used at conferences or while traveling. OH indicates a quotation of someone else’s remarks. @overheard is all about the OH, like the way Overheard in the Blogosphere covers IT.

DM = Direct Message. DMs are Twitter’s email. “DM me” means take the discussion private. Twettiquette suggests long conversations should go into DMs. Note: Adding “DM” to the front of a tweet does NOT = a DM, at least yet. d username does. @techcrunch posted on the danger of DMFails.

@ = Reply to [username]
. @ can also be used expressing ‘at,’ as in location.

BTW = By The Way. BTW is an easy way to add an aside. It’s Twitter’s version of a segue.

FTW  = For The Win. Whatever the action or product FTW modifies is *good*. @RWW explained the origin of FTW, BTW.

FTL = For The Loss (or For The Lose). FTL is generally an expression of disappointment, disapproval or dismay. It’s the opposite of FTW.

IRL = In Real Life. What’s true on Twitter may not be true IRL. After all, on
the Internet, nobody knows you’re a dog

FTF = Face to Face. FTF or F2F refers to an actual meeting in person, IRL. That can mean at a tweetup or other occasion where you might encounter other Twitterers.

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion. IMHO usually indicates that ‘This is an op-ed tweet, not a factual assertion.’ UPDATE: It can be argued that “Humble” is the more common meaning, but both are valid for IMHO. At least, IMHO, anyways. Thanks Richard Walker -ed.

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary. In other words (IOW), what’s true in my experience (IMX) may differ from yours if you try ____ product/service/technique.

BR = Best Regards
. BR is a useful way of being cordial, particularly when making a
difficult request, submitting a complaint, or when introducing yourself.

b/c  = because. b/c is not the same as the blind carbon copy (BCC) used in email.

JV = Joint Venture
. A JV refers to a collaborative enterprise between Twitterers on a project.

LMK = Let Me Know. Tweet me back (TMB) when you have more information about a question or a decision on a request.

There you go. The top 15 Twitter acronyms, along with a few extra ones in the explanations. If you have others that you think should be included, add ‘em to the comments.

@verso & @ahockley maintain a whimsical wiki called the ‘Twictionary‘ where you can find more coinages.

NB (nota bene): You’ll find many other common text or chat acronyms on Twitter, like LOL, OMG or WTF. I’m guessing you’ve long since figured out what those mean. If not, check the long list of IM & chat abbreviations I helped compile for WhatIs.com.

Alexander Howard is a Cambridge-based technology editor for a B2B IT media company. Until this December, he was the associate editor for WhatIs.com, the online IT encyclopedia.

{ 27 trackbacks }

Published @Touchbase on ‘twacronyms’ FTW! « digiphile
January 13, 2009 at 12:55 am
Ligações do dia : Re-Formar
January 13, 2009 at 7:04 pm
Silicon Florist’s links arrangement for January 14 » Silicon Florist
January 15, 2009 at 4:04 am
Silicon Florist’s links arrangement for January 14 : Oregon Startup Blog
January 16, 2009 at 11:20 am
Top 10 NSFW Twitter Abbreviations | Pistachio
January 25, 2009 at 10:18 am
15 acrónimos mas usados en Twitter (ingles) — Textualmenteactivo.com
February 2, 2009 at 4:32 am
links for 2009-02-03 « dupola’s weblog(en)
February 3, 2009 at 12:01 pm
What the @ is twitter? (part 2) « The Reality of Doing Blog
February 19, 2009 at 1:30 pm
twitter for small business — Business Ready
March 19, 2009 at 5:53 pm
Tweets from purplehayz on 2009-04-27 « Aleph Naught & the Null Set
April 28, 2009 at 9:03 am
Use RE for @replies on Twitter « digiphile
May 13, 2009 at 1:57 pm
Top 50 Twitter Acronyms, Abbreviations and Initialisms « digiphile
June 11, 2009 at 11:20 am
Michael Scarpelli » Fiction Friday - Wile E. Tweets
June 12, 2009 at 3:40 am
Ligações do dia » Re-Formar - Blogando sobre e, m, b ou qualquer outra forma de "Learning"
October 28, 2009 at 4:45 pm
Short and Simple: How to Make the Most Out of Your 140 Characters | A Step Ahead Media
November 27, 2009 at 6:11 pm
Top 50 Twitter Acronyms, Abbreviations and Initialisms | Kelts School
April 30, 2013 at 8:56 am
twitter acronyms wallpaper for the twitter newbies… | PeHaa Blog
August 10, 2013 at 6:07 pm

{ 43 comments… read them below or add one }

Richard Walker January 12, 2009 at 1:16 pm

I believe you’re mistaken about the H in IMHO. “Humble” is correct, and explains the difference between IMHO and IMO. Fake humility FTL :)

Seth Goldstein January 12, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Brilliant Laura!

Laura "Pistachio" Fitton January 12, 2009 at 3:22 pm

@seth thanks but this post is by our newest contributor Alexander Howard, aka @digiphile.

@richard that is correct, humble is the usage I’ve always heard

Alexander Howard January 12, 2009 at 3:32 pm

@reechard & @pistachio. Humble it is!

As I noted when I tweeted back to @reechard, H can mean many things.

I probably should have recognized that AcronymFinder.com’s entry for IMHO scores ‘humble’ above ‘honest,’ though it’s far ahead of Internet Media House, In My Holy Opinion, In My Hesitating Opinion, In My Highest Opinion or even the International Medical Health Organization, which probably has the most reasonable claim to the acronym. (I bet tracking their posts with an #IMHO hashtag could be challenging.)

Heck, even WhatIs.com’s entry for IMHO says it’s humble.

Consider me humbled!

Laura Fitton January 12, 2009 at 5:08 pm

A true point made by many… there are lotsa lotsa lotsa acronyms with F in them that we did not include. Perhaps we’ll do a “part II” post that *only* covers offensive ones. In the meanwhile @rands captured it concisely and eloquently (if acronyms can be eloquent)

“No WTF FTL: http://bit.ly/r61l

Tom January 12, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I take great offense to your mention that @ can be used @ a place. Do you realize how many tweets start with “@Tom’s place” and I get them because people don’t know the difference between an @reply and a non-reply? ONE EVERY SO OFTEN. But it’s still annoying.

Ari Herzog January 13, 2009 at 1:23 am

..acronyms you’ve “encountered on Twitter over the years?” Over the YEARS, Alex? Really? :)

I’ve never heard of 80% of these. Interesting.

Alexander Howard January 13, 2009 at 1:32 am

Really, Ari. I started Twittering when I first blogged about Twitter in April of 2007. I won’t claim any undue early adopter cred but I would hope ‘years’ isn’t too much of a stretch. ;)

Jeff Cutler January 13, 2009 at 1:34 am

@stevegarfield, @melissapierce and @gregverdino and @jeffcutler brainstormed at a #ces09 breakfast the acronym for sending a tweet again as RT-ing yourself is in questionable taste.

We came up with RERUN or abbreviated, RR.

LEMills January 13, 2009 at 1:49 pm

FWIW, they are actually abbreviations (letters that are named as letters), not acronyms (first initials that make a voiced word, such as SCUBA).

BR,
Linda

Alexander Howard January 14, 2009 at 9:34 pm

I’m HHIS, Linda. You’re absolutely right. I’ve been outed by a wiley grammarian! I know all too well that an acronym ‘is an abbreviation of several words in such a way that the abbreviation itself forms a word,’ like BASIC, COBOL or SOS. I chose the post title that I thought would resonate with the most readers. In retrospect, that may be FTL. Thanks for the correction!

missburrows January 15, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Don’t forget NSFW=Not Safe For Work

(I use that one a lot.)

and Twitcrush= Declaring a crush on someone on Twitter.

(twitcrush.com)

Robert Cain January 19, 2009 at 12:54 pm

You left out NSFW – Not Safe For Work – Very important when providing links to questionable material. This doesn’t necessarily mean pr0n either. Remember some places have VERY strict rules, and even something as simple as a curse word can get you in deep trouble with your employer.

Robert Cain January 19, 2009 at 12:55 pm

LOL looks like Miss Burrows and I had the same thought at the same time.

Roylan January 25, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Excellent, Laura. Thanks for the list.

Alexander Howard January 25, 2009 at 9:08 pm

@Robert, @MissBurrows & Rands The Top 10 NSFW Twitter Abbreviations went up today.

Parky January 31, 2009 at 8:43 am

There’s nothing new under the sun ;-)
These are the what we old ‘uns used to use in IRC last century!

Here’s some more, courtesy Geocities c. 2002.
and even more here http://www.bobjude.co.uk/entertain/irc.html

Welcome to the 90′s, Twitter style!

@parkylondon

Peter C. Frank February 2, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Great half-list of 15 top Twitter acronyms. And I say half-list b/c half of the acronyms on this list I’ve known about for 15+ years; they’re not exclusive to Twitter but moreso general online-speak…

But thanks for the Twitter list (RT, DM, PRT, @, JV, TMB). BTW you should prob incl “Twit” and “Tweet” on this list…

Sai Gudigundla February 11, 2009 at 11:07 am

Great list. I think RTHX = Thanks for the ReTweet should be on the list. I use it all the time.

PeHaa February 16, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Great, thank you. I ‘arranged’ them into a wallpaper. To be downloaded from

Patrick March 27, 2009 at 4:19 am

I tried, I really did. I signed up for an account, read a few posts on a few blogs but honestly and HONESTLY, I really fail to see / understand / comprehend Twitter. I expect to be flammed a little, but I just honestly don`t understand it or why people would want to.

Obviously I`m in the dark about something that is very very big on the net

pedantic April 16, 2009 at 12:35 pm

IMHO = In my humble opinion. 10x more votes on urban dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=imho

Christopher Wulff April 23, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Technically they’re not abbreviations either, they’re initialisms. Abbreviations are the larger category containing both acronyms and initialisms.

Not to get too word-nerdy.

CW

Alexander Howard May 13, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Here’s an addition after today’s #fixreplies groundswell of reaction:

Use RE for @replies on Twitter

kontrabaso September 9, 2009 at 12:41 pm

How Can small businesses successfully use Twitter?

Kichigai September 22, 2009 at 4:24 pm

You forgot about “FML” (F*** my life!)

Bending Light September 25, 2009 at 1:11 pm

Does anyone know what HOBAT is?

Black Jack Shellac June 13, 2010 at 8:54 am

Definitely Humble, not Honest for IMHO. That abbreviation’s been around since the dark ages of the internets back in the 80s on internet news.

Branden Harvey March 29, 2011 at 3:38 am

Hilarious! And exactly what I needed to read.

Dennis January 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Does anyone know what the #MT stands for on twitter? I’m Confused!

Rocky January 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Patrick – no flame here. Twit’s not for everybody. If you tweet more than you read – and you’re not a spokesperson – you’re a narcitweetist. :-) But if you read more than you tweet, it can be useful. I get 5-second notifications of severe weather, big thinkers’ ideas, newsflashes, etc. Can scan many, many sources in 1-2 minutes. It’s like good e-mail – subject “blah blah EOM.” Basically an executive dashboard on the parts of the world I choose to follow. And perfectly suited to the small screen/bandwidth of smart phones, too.

Initialisms January 20, 2013 at 9:56 am

Not one of these examples is an acronym. They are all abbreviations, most of them known as initialisms. ABC, CBS, and NBC are examples of initialisms. SCUBA, AIDS, and NATO are examples of acronyms.

coupons April 12, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Wow, fantastic blog layout! How long have you been
running a blog for? you make blogging look easy.
The whole glance of your website is excellent, as smartly as the content!

Cody July 2, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clarity on your put up is simply nice and that i could think you are knowledgeable on this subject.
Fine with your permission allow me to snatch your RSS feed to stay updated with coming near near post.
Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

web page July 26, 2013 at 8:00 am

This text is priceless. Where can I find out more?

web site August 4, 2013 at 12:33 am

As it is simpler to run a personal on-line shop than
to run a shop in the market that to some shop which offers you everything beneath the sun that are available online shops give year-long reductions.
Also these online retailers like Overstock.com give particular discount such
as overstock coupon signal for promotional
and advertising purpose. Although a traditional Overstock coupon is difficult to find but once you pay money for
it be sure to be impressed.

Overstock Coupon is of very great use, because it has improved the trend
of on line shopping by many times among the mind of people.
It’s also several getting things which increase its need. Various kinds coupon limitations are there Free Ship Coupon Code, namely Money Saver Coupon Code and many more; all are used for various reasons.
Now these requirements are being sold out to do business. This can be also comfortable for your customers as they are now free from the risk of advertising using a large amount of income. Actually some charge websites and sites have started the Overstock Coupon process. They feature systems like on a charge of Rs.10 only 1 will get 20% concession on looking for Rs 999 and above. By using these techniques, also the small-scale web sites are extending their sales. A margin has been fixed by many shopping sites such that shopping beyond that certain amount could bear no shipping charge. Coupon codes are actually available even to reduce the shipping fee.

arizona criminal defense attorney October 19, 2013 at 7:55 pm

My developer is trying to convince me to move to .net
from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the
expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on numerous websites for about
a year and am worried about switching to another platform.
I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way
I can transfer all my wordpress content into
it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

Bjorn Solstad October 25, 2013 at 3:42 am

I keep looking for an explenation what #pt means. I see it in my stream daily, but can never figure out what it’s for. Does anyone here know?

empower network scam November 1, 2013 at 11:52 am

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet
viewers, its really really fastidious post on building up new website.

VPN Service Provider December 10, 2013 at 7:04 am

Thank you for being my personal instructor on this issue. My partner and i enjoyed your own article very much and most of all enjoyed reading the way you handled the issues I thought to be controversial.

@tobstine March 22, 2014 at 4:13 am

its been helpful to a large extent…a big fan of yours..

@tobstine March 22, 2014 at 4:14 am

So helpful

hack followers on instagram April 17, 2014 at 4:24 am

Excellent blog post. I certainly lovve this site. Keep it up!